graveyard shift worker? Here are Safety tips for night shift workers
Are you among the ones that turn their nights to a day to make ends meet? If yes, you should know that there are some things you must do whenever you are on night duty, and there are also so many things you shouldn’t do. Of course, your workplace will have some policies laid down for you; you still need some safety tips to protect yourself and have a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s show you some of the safety tips for night shift workers that you need to keep safe and healthy at work.
Before we talk about the safety tips, let’s discuss the health care tips you need to know first. As a night shift worker, you can’t follow the same lifestyle as a day worker would do. If you want to be healthy and productive at work at night, check out the following tips;
- Always take your time to relax immediately you get back home from work. At times, you may feel too fine that you would think you don’t need to rest. But the truth is that it will affect you when you get back to work the next night. Sleeping instantly will allow you to attend to other things during the day without feeling weak or battling headaches.
- Have your meals at the same time every day, if possible. This routine will maintain your body’s clock at all times. With this routine, you will not find it hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle as a night shift worker.
- Consume more of high protein foods like fruits, vegetables, peanut butter on crackers, and lots more. This particular group of foods will keep you alert. Only eat sweets at the end of your shift so that you will sleep better.
- Workout every day after having a good sleep. If you exercise before sleeping after your night shifts, you may become weak all through the day. This means you may feel fatigued at night, too, when you are on duty and it may make you less productive, which you wouldn’t like.
- You should avoid prolonged use of sedatives and sleeping pills, which can disrupt your standard sleeping patterns.
- Prevent daytime noises that can disrupt your beautiful, restful sleep. You need a deep sound sleep as much as possible to be able to stay awake all through the night again.
Now, let’s see the safety tips for night shift workers;
- Ensure you have the right PPE for your work. Always check your PPE to ensure it’s in good condition. If not, get it fixed as soon as possible or if it’s beyond repair request for a new one. You shouldn’t expose yourself to dangers by putting on a bad PPE.
- Ensure there is proper lighting at your location of work at night. Don’t work in the dark because this will not enable you to identify a danger. Whenever the lighting facilities are faulty, and they are being ignored, talk to the person in charge. Let them understand the high risk you and other night workers are subject to.
- Always go to your night duty with your identity card. This will save you from embarrassment and troubles. Many bad things happen at night, such as kidnapping, robbery, accidents, and more, which you may not have anyone around to defend you from. But with your ID, you can save yourself at times.
- Obey all rules and regulations for night workers at your workplace. This is paramount to avoid troubles, risks, and embarrassments. If you are not pleased with any of the policies, take a reasonable step about it.
As a night worker, aside from earning the income, you need to keep yourself healthy and safe too. The safety tips for night shift workers explained in this post will help you have an incredible night shift working experience.